Am I eligible for a student visa in Australia?

People who want to study in Australia must obtain a student visa, and although thousands do it each year, some are refused because they do not meet the eligibility requirements. In this article, we will briefly explain four key requirements.

Your course of study in Australia should relate to your current qualifications and experience, though it is possible to study a new area of interest. You will also need to demonstrate to the Australian Immigration Department how your chosen course can benefit you in your home country.


While it is fine to dream of and plan to live in Australia permanently, it is important to note that student visas are temporary and you must intend to respect this. Student visas are issued for the principle purpose of studying, not working, though you will receive work rights for up to 40 hours per fortnight. You may also qualify for other visas to undertake study or work after course completion. For more information, click here for our enrolment article or contact one of our migration agents.


You will need to prove you have access to sufficient funds to support yourself during your studies in Australia. This can be in the form of support from an eligible relative. If you are doing this, then your financial sponsor will need to provide evidence of funds. The amount required is $18,610 per year for living expenses, plus tuition fees, and return airfares.

It is possible to study at many Australian colleges with a payment plan in place. However, you will be required to pay upfront for an initial installment of your tuition fees and Overseas Student Healthcare Cover (OSHC). Click here to read more about OSHC.


Australian courses and visas require you to meet a certain level of English competency. You may be exempt from providing English test results if you hold a certain passport, have previously studied in English, or are undertaking an ELICOS course. There are many acceptable English language proficiency tests, with the most popular being IELTS. For more information on English language testing, click here.

If you meet the above eligibility criteria for the course you want to study, then please proceed to creating a profile. Otherwise, contact us with questions or for more information.

Related Articles